New projects: Bee earring pair, completed. NFS.

I’ve been wanting to write about this for about 24 hours, but I haven’t been sure, quite where. This blog does allow me to post visual records, however — at which, my work journal is much less efficient. I did get a set of earrings completed, yesterday, and photographed, today. Unfortunately, I’m not the greatest photographer; fortunately, I do know how to use photo-editing software (to a degree). That doesn’t quite make up for a blurry shot, but it helps when trying to get the photo to resemble reality.

A set of two glass beaded drop earrings in shades of aquamarine and blue, with green, gold, and copper beads surrounding yellow-topaz-shaded centers.

I figured I should make some kind of record of these, as they did turn out pretty well. I really hate to have to write down the names of the beads I used (I won’t bore you with them — unless you ask), but there’s really no other way, besides reproducing the pair entirely, for me to know what I did for this outcome.

Essentially, I was following a pattern I developed earlier this year. It’s really…something, to get back into beadweaving, after you haven’t been doing it for months! I did have some trepidation, but noted it and kept going. Probably, that was the best thing I could have done.

This pair isn’t really perfect by any means, but the only reason I’ve developed the pattern this far is by making and remaking things with incremental improvement. Particularly, I seem not to have noted how to weave in the tail thread which results after the majority of the weaving in one direction, is done. This can result in the majority of the body loosening up…which is the last thing you want, after having constructed it.

The largest issue with these earrings is that they utilize size 15/0 rocaille seed beads (the tiny gold ones), and the weaving pattern requires multiple passes. This means using next-to-the-smallest-size needles I have (I believe I was using a Size 13, as I doubt I’d even be able to thread my Size 15s), using beads with relatively large piercings for their size (the ones I’m using here are Miyuki Duracoat 15/0 rocailles — using cylinder beads might be better, but I’d advise against using Czech seed beads for this pattern), using a fine thread (C-Lon AA beading thread…which I think is equivalent to a Nymo O, but don’t quote me on that) and being judicious about my thread path (i.e., not crossing over myself too much, or trying to sew through knots, if I can avoid it).

Taking this into account…I’m thinking the best way to anchor that tail thread is to follow the initial thread path which forms the backbone of the work. That last sentence would make more sense if I showed my notes, but I haven’t made a public-facing copy of those, yet. I even need to make a cleaner private copy of my notes, to that end!

There are a number of notes that I am not giving, here, which …you know, they’re pretty essential for this earring design. I haven’t yet gotten far enough in my plans for this site to be able to figure out whether it is really a good thing (for me) to publish that specific information. To be clear: I want to do it, and maybe I should at least start to try to do it; but it would help to have an established and thought-out strategy, before jumping in.

In any case, the total pattern — as shown in the finished object above — is still underdeveloped. There are things that I know how (and why) to do, which probably wouldn’t come to the mind of someone who hasn’t spent a while playing with the design itself.

Beyond that, my aim for the new year is to create more designs. That, and to get a decent job, so that I won’t have to worry about monetizing my crafts for the time being. There is some stuff that has come up about the job circuit, but — trust me, it’s not all that exciting. 🙂 The books are exciting; the organization of the books…it has to be done. I mean, seriously: has to be done, but the work — or my current view of the work — is that it’s quiet and analytical. That’s probably good for me; but still: not that exciting. 🙂 Heh. And it is probably a good thing, that it’s not exciting.

Now, I need to record which beads I used, and experiment with my next project.

A question: Would you be interested in seeing a written/drawn-out pattern for these earrings?

Published by Haruna

Haruna is a Librarian by training, currently pivoting from Public Services into Technical Services. Their undergraduate major was English -- Creative Writing, and they hold an additional small degree in Art (i.e. Visual Arts). They are now pondering whether a career in Academia is viable or desirable, given the current situation.

2 thoughts on “New projects: Bee earring pair, completed. NFS.

Leave a Reply to Haruna Cancel reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: